A low-viscosity, non-toxic medium suitable for density gradient centrifugation of cells, viruses and subcellular particles. The low viscosity of the medium enables cell preparation on preformed gradients in only a few minutes using low centrifugal forces (200 to 1000×g). The medium is available in easy-to-open, resealable bottles.
- Composed of colloidal silica coated with polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), which gives low osmolality and low viscosity
- For separation of cells, subcellular particles and larger viruses (down to ~ 70S) under gentle conditions which preserve viability and morphological integrity
- Non-toxic to cells
- Adjustable to physiological ionic strength and pH
- Gradients can either be pre-formed or spontaneously generated by centrifugation at moderate speeds in an angle-head rotor
- Gradients are iso-osmotic throughout and cover a range of densities up to 1.3g/mL